When ESPN sends College Gameday to the Air Force-Army game, it probably means the weekend's slate of games is a little thin. Nevertheless, there are some sneaky matchups across the country that could have a serious impact on the rest of the season.
IOWA 31, Northwestern 17
- The Hawkeyes have a nasty habit of playing to the level of the competition. The score won't reflect how close this game really was.
PURDUE 24, Michigan 20
- Purdue's best games have come against teams that run the spread option, like Oregon and Ohio State. Michigan looked pitiful in a blowout loss to lowly Illinois last week.
SOUTH CAROLINA 34, Arkansas 33
- This one's a toss-up; South Carolina needs this win to revive a once-promising season.
KANSAS 40, Kansas State 24
- The Wildcats are currently on top of the Big 12 North Division. Kansas is 1-3 in the conference, but have played much tougher competition so far.
TEXAS A & M 38, Colorado 31
- Jerrod Johnson is one of the best-kept secrets in college football...Texas needs to be careful in a few weeks.
NOTRE DAME 37, Navy 20
- Michael Floyd returns to the Irish lineup today. He won't play too much, but that will inspire the Irish to rout the Midshipmen.
ALABAMA 21, LSU 16
- Greg McElroy has fallen off the map after a great start. He can thank his lucky stars for Rolando McClain and Terrance Cody.
OREGON 38, Stanford 35
- The Ducks have had to deal with so much attention this week, it's hard to imagine they'll come out and play their best football today.
PENN STATE 23, Ohio State 17
- Something tells me Terrelle Pryor is going to have the best game of his season today, but I just don't like the Buckeyes this year. Penn State's at home.
DUKE 28, North Carolina 21
- Carolina is coming off the biggest win in Butch Davis' tenure...just in time for Duke's biggest game in David Cutcliffe's.
CALIFORNIA 42, Oregon State 31
- Remember Jahvid Best? I don't.
HOUSTON 42, Tulsa 35
- Case Keenum is making a strong case for the Heisman Trophy. Pun intended.
CLEMSON 38, Florida State 28
- Clemson's offense is red-hot, Florida State's defense is one of the worst in the ACC.
CINCINNATI 34, Connecticut 20
- The Huskies will play inspired football, but the Bearcats are simply too good, and they are playing at home in prime-time.
USC 44, Arizona State 14
- If the Trojans don't win this game by three touchdowns, I will buy the High School Musical 2 soundtrack.
OKLAHOMA 31, Nebraska 17
- Remember when Nebraska was on their way back? I don't.
Last week: 12-3
Overall: 57-18 (76%)